No one can imagine that each year 20 auto makers be agitated out nearly 400 models in the Indian auto market. Out of these, six models constitute nearly 63 percent market share. Surprisingly, three of these six models belong to the Maruti stable.
Last calendar year I found nearly 50 new models in the country but sales figures for Maruti Alto topped the chart followed by Wagon R, Tata Indica, Maruti Swift, Hyundai i10 and the good Hyundai Santro. Sales of Swift (both sedan and hatchback) performed excellently in the market. These six models together sold nearly 7.6 lakh units in the last calendar year. Small car segment clearly dominated the market and this segment showed little signs of slow down due to the credit crisis or global meltdown. Analysts expect that dominated presence of Maruti may be over-shadowed this year with the launch of Tata Nano in this segment. This micro car may drastically shuffle the conventional matrix of the Indian car market.
On the other hand, there are models which sold in low figures as well – Skoda Fabia, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata and Fiat 500, have not tallied impressive numbers.
Related Articles : Wheel Industry
01. Honda : What Next
02. Mahindra's Beautiful Dream XYLO running on the road
03. Mahindra and Mahindra : A New Scooter Segment
04. The car of the mile Maruti will not sell 800 in 11 cities from 2010
05. Hero Honda contributes climb up in two-wheeler sales
06. Tata's Air Car - Is it the next big thing?
07. Maruti 800 : Still run on the road
08. Once again Kawasaki-Bajaj
09. Global Car Majors to Follow Maruti Route
10. Maruti Suzuki's New Launch The Ritz - BS-IV Emission Norms
11. Is Audi Q5 pick the Indian Market?
12. Hyundai - Is a Nano Competitor?
13. Can Maruti Alto compete to Tata's Nano
14. Bajaj Bikes Runs On The Road of Africa and Europe
15. Maruti Suzuki Launches Ritz in Orissa
16. Tata Motors To Give Back Dealers Over Unsold Nano Forms
17. Skoda’s Attraction : A Small Car Runs on Indian Road in Next Year
18. What Is The Real Cost of Owning The Wonder Car - Nano?
19. Honda Jazz : An excellent car with good looks
20. Grab Discount Offers in June from Car Manufacturers in India
21. Mini Car from General Motors
22. Electric and Hybrid Cars from Tata Motors
23. Mahindra's New Variant : Xylo MPV with ABS (Anti-lock Breaking System)