Despite the many good points, diesel models do have their own disadvantages and even after so many technical advancements in the automobile industry, these disadvantages still exist. The most common one is the noise. Diesel cars till date are very noisy and especially make a lot of noise when starting from cold. So if you start your diesel car in winter mornings, your neighborhood can clock their schedules with your office timings. (The reason is due to heavier parts in the engine and the different ignition technique.)
Petrol engine driven cars are certainly expensive but they deliver better driving experience with their smoother and quieter engines. Moreover petrol engine cars are cheaper and faster as well.
On Road– Petrol vs. Diesel Performance
Petrol and diesel engine performances have been talked and researched a lot. Earlier diesel engines offered poor performance compared to the petrol engines. Especially in acceleration, diesel engines were found lacking.
But since the advent of the turbo-chargers a lot of things have changed on the diesel side of the fence. “Direct Inject” and “common rail” engines have been the latest kids on the block. Direct inject engines have taken care of the noise problems to a large extent. They also give better mileage over the older indirect injection models. Common rail diesels use the latest technology of direct injection and are the most recent ones offering more fuel economy and better performance. However, not all auto manufacturers have developed and adapted this technology in their cars in India.
Petrol models give more horsepower which enables them to attain higher top speed and better figures of 0-60 kmph acceleration. The refined driving experience offered by the petrol engines still remains unparalleled. However, please note that the new age Turbo diesel engines, such as the Volkswagen engine, give excellent power and acceleration. For example, the Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI top of the range car (not available) in India, delivers whopping 167 BHP, 8 seconds acceleration to 100 km/h and a mileage of 1:20 on highways!
Finally, the account servicing costs of diesel cars is definitely more any day, though the frequency will be less. However, with the latest technology these costs have been curbed by the manufacturers but it eventually depends which brand you are opting for.
It is clear that once the car is bought, the running costs of a diesel car will be far less than a petrol car. Possible less attractive performance is not that relevant in our busy Indian cities, where noise too is a daily issue to put up with.
Hence, the only serious disadvantage of the diesel car in India is the higher purchase price and hence the only factor to consider for Indians is the daily run rate.
We end with a calculation on how to choose between a diesel or petrol car.
Related Articles : Wheel Industry
01. Honda : What Next
02. Mahindra's Beautiful Dream XYLO running on the road
03. Mahindra and Mahindra : A New Scooter Segment
04. The car of the mile Maruti will not sell 800 in 11 cities from 2010
05. Hero Honda contributes climb up in two-wheeler sales
06. Tata's Air Car - Is it the next big thing?
07. Maruti 800 : Still run on the road
08. Once again Kawasaki-Bajaj
09. Global Car Majors to Follow Maruti Route
10. Maruti Suzuki's New Launch The Ritz - BS-IV Emission Norms
11. Is Audi Q5 pick the Indian Market?
12. Hyundai - Is a Nano Competitor?
13. Can Maruti Alto compete to Tata's Nano
14. Bajaj Bikes Runs On The Road of Africa and Europe
15. Maruti Suzuki Launches Ritz in Orissa
16. Tata Motors To Give Back Dealers Over Unsold Nano Forms
17. Skoda’s Attraction : A Small Car Runs on Indian Road in Next Year
18. What Is The Real Cost of Owning The Wonder Car - Nano?
19. Honda Jazz : An excellent car with good looks
20. Grab Discount Offers in June from Car Manufacturers in India
21. Mini Car from General Motors
22. Electric and Hybrid Cars from Tata Motors
23. Mahindra's New Variant : Xylo MPV with ABS (Anti-lock Breaking System)
24. Indian Auto Market : Best and Not-So-Best Models
25. TVS Apache RTR, M&M to bump off US Market
26. Fiat's Grande Punto : A Cool Car
27. Honda Jazz - An Excellent Car With Good Looks
28. Car AC : Tips To Tackle With Car AC
29. Mahindra's New Scorpio: A Powerful Automotive Vehicle
30. What is "Bharat IV Emission Norms"?
31. Why I like Maruti 800?
32. Toyota's Land Cruiser On Indian Roads
33. Alfa Romeo Milano : A New CAR (2010)
34. Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid (2010) CAR
35. Just Post Your Complaint Against Auto Drivers
36. You have to wait for Fiat Bravo
37. Expansion of Pre-Owned Cars Business - General Motors
38. Audi is going to Increases its Sales Force in India
39. TVS Flame SR 125 Set In Motion
40. Ford India Counts Big on Indian Market
41. More Powerful Engine of Maruti Grand Vitara
42. M&M Make up a U-Turn to Africa
43. Are You The First Lucky Nano Buyer?
44. Bajaj Launching Upgraded Pulsar 220 DTSi
45. High-tech “Flame” to Heat Up Indian Market
46. A new Spark on Beat-concept by end-2009 from General Motors
47. Air Car From Tata Motors
48. Please do not turn on Car A/C immediately
49. Petrol OR Disel Car? What Is Your Opinion? - 1